Over the past year, Nathan Terpstra, one of ARPA's dedicated research officers, has been actively immersed in the exploration of contemporary gender identity issues. His ongoing efforts have culminated in a thought-provoking research paper that navigates the complexities of this politically charged subject, offering distinctive evaluation and commentary from a Reformed Christian perspective.
The transgender movement and its agenda have come to dominate Australian politics and society in recent years. We are now at the point where rainbow flags are printed all over packaging, children are being taught to question their gender at school, people are being harassed and vilified when they refuse to accept the ‘rainbow religion’, and boys are allowed into girls’ changerooms. The rainbow wave seems to have come suddenly, and it seems to be unstoppable.
In this research paper, we seek to answer the following questions:
- How did we get here?
- What are the effects of this movement on Christians, society, and individuals?
- How do we navigate this situation in a godly way?
- How do we respond when we are encouraged or coerced to participate – for example, what do we do when the business we work for wants us to wear rainbow armbands?
- What is the truth about gender?
- Is there really much harm in allowing people to decide their own ‘gender’?